Archive for the “Creativity” Category

Here’s how I made the goggles for my Dr. Horrible costume, starting with the green Fibre-Metal VG800-H5 welding goggles.

  1. Removed lenses, vents, and elastic strap.
  2. Washed with soap and water.
  3. Roughed up the surface with a medium-grain sandpaper.
  4. Coated with Mod Podge. This firmed up the plastic and gave the paint a good surface to adhere to.
  5. Painted with several coats of acrylic paint. I used a mixture of Anita’s Silver Metallic Craft Paint and Plaid Folk Art Metallic Gunmetal Gray to get a nice aluminum color.
  6. Dry brushed on splotches of a rusty color, paying particular attention to corners. For this I used a mixture of dark copper, red brown, khaki, and little bit of white.
  7. Using a foam brush, I dry brushed on some more of the aluminum color to tone down some of the rust color, making it look more like a tarnish. I used broad strokes to avoid getting down into the corners.
  8. Filed down the edges of the lenses slightly to make it easier to get them back in the frame.
  9. With the extra thickness added by the layers of Mod Podge and paint, the vents no longer fit onto the goggles. I had to trim off the lip of the vents leaving the stem, and then glue them in place with Mod Podge.

Comments Comments Off on How I Made My Dr. Horrible Goggles

My friends Nick & Suzanne wanted me to take some pictures of them today at a wedding we were attending. Being glad to have an excuse to use my camera, which I tend to carry around with me these days, I pulled it out of my bag and powered it up. However, after the standard Canon startup logo on the view-screen, I was presented with a garish sight:

IMG_1650_thmb.jpg IMG_1655_thmb.jpg

IMG_1657_thmb.jpg IMG_1660_thmb.jpg

IMG_1667_thmb.jpg

While these pics are kind of fun in an abstract way, it’s not really what I want to get out of my camera all the time. When I got home I popped over to the Canon support website, which suggested that I talk to a tech support rep on the phone before trying to send it in for service. I dialed the number and told the tech support guy about my problem. He informed me that a service advisory has been issued about image sensor problems with the PowerShot A70 (my camera) and that they’ll fix it for free if that’s indeed the problem. So, in a couple days I’ll be getting a prepaid shipping label to send my camera in for service.

A quick Google search turned up this page, which appears to confirm that I am having the faulty image sensor (CCD) problem.

And from Canon’s advisory:

While reports of this malfunction have been rare in the United States, we have determined that it may occur if the product is exposed to hot and humid environments.

Hmmm… hot and humid… St. Louis broke my camera!

Comments 1 Comment »

I have this spiffy new computer that is able to run Apple’s music creation app GarageBand, so on a random whim this weekend, I decided to fire it up and try my hand at music making. Of course my actual ability to play music myself is somewhat limited, and I don’t really have any good way of recording sound onto my computer right now, so I dived into the included music loop library and dragged and dropped until I had something that resembled a techno song. The result? Well, listen for yourself, and let me know what you think:

Download “Digital Phoenix (Unfinished Demo 1)” [4.28 MB]

Comments 2 Comments »

Prototype

Last night I threw together this prototype for the trading cards that I’m going to make for my Ancient & Medieval Church History final project. I decided against the idea of making a collectable card game because a CCG would take a lot more time and effort than regular trading cards.

Each card will include a relevant image; a short description of the subject; some flavor text, such as a famous quote; and an index number so that the cards can be easily arranged in chronological order. Also, each card will be printed on a blank 4×6 index card, and cut to size.

Comments 2 Comments »